Practical Woodworking

Course Overview

Practical Woodworking is a course which focuses on developing an accomplished set of fine motor skills through the production of a number of assessable woodworking models. The National 4 and 5 courses are broadly similar in that the main differentiator between the two is the level of accuracy that pupils are expected to demonstrate whilst marking out, cutting out and assembling their assessment tasks.

The course comprises of three distinct units covering:

Flat Frame Construction

Carcase Construction

Machining and Finishing

The final task the pupils are then involved in draws upon all of these skills and will contribute 70% of the overall grade the pupils receive for the course. The remaining 30% will be assessed through a written exam paper that will take place in May/June during the SQA Examination period.

2021/2022 UPDATE

The written paper for Practical Woodworking has been removed for this year. This will result in 100% of the awarded grade being based purely on practical ability.