Welcome to the Lanark Grammar School Technical Education Blog.
Here, you will find a range of resources that we use during lessons to support learning and teaching. However, you will also find homework help, study materials and web links that will allow you to access a range of online tools.
Technical Education currently delivers 4 certificated subjects to senior phase pupils:
- Graphic Communication (National 4-Higher)
- Design and Manufacture (National 4-Higher)
- Practical Woodworking (National 4-5)
- Practical Metalworking (National 4 and 5)
We also deliver a Broad General Education (BGE) from S1-S3. However, at the end of S2, pupils can opt to choose Graphic Communication, Design and Manufacture or Practical Craft Skills giving them the opportunity to gain a deeper understanding of a specific element of Technical Education.
Currently, the Technical department at Lanark Grammar School consists of 6 staff:
- Mr Brownrigg is Faculty Head of Technical Education, Business Education and Computing Science. He is passionate about all things technical (especially if it has 2 wheels and an engine) and is driving forward the use of Computer Aided Manufacture in the department. He is currently introducing Practical Metalworking as an option for Senior Phase pupils
- Mrs Wilson is our youngest member of the department (and she often reminds us of this). Small in stature but BIG with ideas! Mrs Wilson is one of the DYW lead teachers within the school. She is also leading the way with Design and Manufacture. She is always ready to tackle any challenge in a typically technical problem-solving fashion… Oh, and she has a ‘thing’ about handbags?!
- Mr Dempsey’s skills are being spread across Practical Woodworking and Graphic Communication this year. He is a young guy (though not as young as Mrs Wilson) who is into loud music (although pupils often remind him his tastes are questionable), old cars and big quiffs!
- Mr Hamilton is one of two new members of staff. He has a wide range of skills and qualities. This year his experience is spread across Design & Manufacture as well as Graphic Communication. He admittedly spends his life watching football.
- Mr Campbell is our most recent addition to the team and joins the Technical department on area cover. He, like Mr Brownrigg enjoys bikes, although his are more pedal powered! Mr Campbell admits he spends far too much time in front of the telly and claims to have completed Netflix.. twice!
- Mr Kennedy is our Technician support who keeps everything ticking over. He is the human equivalent of a Swiss army knife – equipped to deal with every eventuality.